With the new year just a few days away, it seems very fitting to begin these weekly roundups of garden inspiration with a collection of organization ideas. Whether you’re making an official resolution to get more organized in the garden or simply looking for some ideas to maximize your gardening efforts, a little garden organization is a perfect way to kick off a new garden season. From organizing your seed stash, to keeping your work areas organized and functional, there are tons of great ideas, and now is a great time to look for some inspiration and discover what might work well for you.
I’ve pulled together a few ideas to get you started (you can find all of these and more on the Garden Organization Pinterest Board), but I’d also love to hear from you in the comments: How are you inspired by garden organization?
So what are you waiting for? Get a head start on your garden organization with a little inspiration from these ideas:
- Looking for a better way to keep your garden records organized? Get inspired to keep a garden journal! From blank journals for sketches and musings, to a ready to go garden management system, the possibilities are endless. I am completely inspired by the artistic flair of this beautiful garden journal.
- Getting ready to place your seed orders for 2014? Find some inspiration to organize your leftover seed first: inventory your seed stash and label and sort your seed packets. Over on the Facebook page, one reader shared that she will be cleaning up her seed stash by organizing a seed swap!
- Want to create an organized work space for your garden? Get inspired with this collection of potting bench ideas. For the outdoor spaces, check out how Northwest Edible Life and Our Little Acre have repurposed pallets and created organized and functional storage and work space.
- How do you keep all of your garden essentials together out in the garden? One reader shared her secret weapon: a 5 gallon bucket garden caddy. Most garden supply companies carry a version of this organizer, but DIY’ers might find some inspiration in this sewing pattern.
- Getting geared up to save seed from your garden this year? Get inspired by this creative re-use for seed storage.
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes peppers seed starting preservation seasons Salsa Week 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration Grow It Forward rhubarb raspberries photo post garden projects heirloom Photo of the Day garden planning garden plans broccoli yard projects onions lettuce seeds recipe seed saving herbs fall beans canning radishes strawberries salsa tomatillo spring cucumber seed garlic transplanting A Seed Starting Diary kale dry beans pumpkin community garden varieties winter frost planting guest post scallions basil spinach Garden Planning 101 squash soil kohlrabi red romaine asparagus Garden Photography 101 Minnesota Locavore beets corn beneficial insects mint garden harvest totals pickling vertical gardening pollinators Three Sisters squirrels indoor gardening flowers garden zucchini potting up variegated tomato cabbage house projects seed starting mix seed starting containers gardening with kids organic gardening garden clean up garden pests watermelon sunflowers resources Holiday Gift Guide Good Garden Reads horseradish jelly giveaways Black Hungarian apples onion fall garden Opalka seedling care pumpkins gourds carrots ground cherries cucurbits reader question compost jam seedlings botanical gardens San Francisco parsnip rainbow chard Grow It Forwards vacation shallots brussels sprouts brassicas soil blocker soil blocks sage plant markers grapes patty pan squash horseradish root dividing rhubarb lemon olive jalapeno cantaloupe slugs organic pest control tomatillos mexican sour gherkin blogging seasonal preparing for winter harvest zinnia pruning overwintering parsnips ground cherry peat rue herb wildlife-friendly garden wrens tomato Measuring Up Building Better Soil coir garden organizataion garden inspiration San Marzano quinoa mulch watering Year in Review amaranth tomato blight paste tomatoes Federle Red Romaine Lettuce social media garden beds snow birthday garden musings Big Mama Amish Paste Anna Russian Tomato litchi tomato litchi tomatoes peas container gardening Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds oregano mojito organic starter pots seed starting timeline disease pests John Denver love rapsberries peanuts pepper mesclun trellising winter sowing yellow pear printable seed packet Extending the Season