With the new year just a few days away, it seems very fitting to begin these weekly roundups of garden inspiration with a collection of organization ideas. Whether you’re making an official resolution to get more organized in the garden or simply looking for some ideas to maximize your gardening efforts, a little garden organization is a perfect way to kick off a new garden season. From organizing your seed stash, to keeping your work areas organized and functional, there are tons of great ideas, and now is a great time to look for some inspiration and discover what might work well for you.
I’ve pulled together a few ideas to get you started (you can find all of these and more on the Garden Organization Pinterest Board), but I’d also love to hear from you in the comments: How are you inspired by garden organization?
So what are you waiting for? Get a head start on your garden organization with a little inspiration from these ideas:
- Looking for a better way to keep your garden records organized? Get inspired to keep a garden journal! From blank journals for sketches and musings, to a ready to go garden management system, the possibilities are endless. I am completely inspired by the artistic flair of this beautiful garden journal.
- Getting ready to place your seed orders for 2014? Find some inspiration to organize your leftover seed first: inventory your seed stash and label and sort your seed packets. Over on the Facebook page, one reader shared that she will be cleaning up her seed stash by organizing a seed swap!
- Want to create an organized work space for your garden? Get inspired with this collection of potting bench ideas. For the outdoor spaces, check out how Northwest Edible Life and Our Little Acre have repurposed pallets and created organized and functional storage and work space.
- How do you keep all of your garden essentials together out in the garden? One reader shared her secret weapon: a 5 gallon bucket garden caddy. Most garden supply companies carry a version of this organizer, but DIY’ers might find some inspiration in this sewing pattern.
- Getting geared up to save seed from your garden this year? Get inspired by this creative re-use for seed storage.
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes peppers seed starting preservation Salsa Week seasons 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration Grow It Forward rhubarb raspberries photo post garden projects heirloom garden planning garden plans broccoli yard projects onions lettuce Photo of the Day herbs seeds radishes fall beans canning recipe strawberries tomatillo salsa spring seed saving cucumber seed garlic transplanting A Seed Starting Diary community garden winter planting varieties pumpkin frost scallions guest post dry beans kale basil squash Garden Planning 101 soil spinach kohlrabi beets Minnesota Locavore red romaine asparagus Garden Photography 101 corn beneficial insects mint garden harvest totals pickling vertical gardening pollinators variegated tomato Three Sisters zucchini squirrels garden flowers organic gardening gardening with kids indoor gardening potting up cabbage seed starting containers seed starting mix garden clean up house projects horseradish watermelon sunflowers Good Garden Reads resources jelly fall garden Black Hungarian garden pests giveaways apples Opalka onion seedling care carrots pumpkins ground cherries seedlings compost reader question jam vacation San Francisco grapes parsnip rainbow chard botanical gardens brussels sprouts Grow It Forwards brassicas soil blocker soil blocks peat sage plant markers shallots patty pan squash horseradish root dividing rhubarb olive lemon slugs organic pest control gourds cantaloupe jalapeno preparing for winter harvest mexican sour gherkin tomatillos zinnia pruning rue overwintering parsnips ground cherry herb cucurbits wildlife-friendly garden wrens tomato Measuring Up Building Better Soil coir garden inspiration San Marzano paste tomatoes garden organizataion quinoa Year in Review amaranth tomato blight mulch Federle Big Mama Red Romaine Lettuce social media garden beds snow Holiday Gift Guide birthday Amish Paste Anna Russian Tomato litchi tomato garden musings watering litchi tomatoes container gardening Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds oregano John Denver mojito organic starter pots seed starting timeline disease pests love yellow pear peanuts pepper mesclun peas rapsberries trellising printable seed packet Extending the Season winter sowing