As I sit down to write this week’s round up of garden inspiration, it definitely feels like we are one week closer to spring. At just a degree or two over 40, it was 60 degrees warmer in the garden today than it was when the week began. A January thaw was never more welcome!
Of course we all know that there are still plenty of cold days ahead, which is exactly why we need this week’s collection of DIY garden project ideas. Getting a head start on a project for the garden is a great way to pass the time until spring arrives. Whether you are a crafty gardener who is all about art and style or a practical gardener who loves power tools and garden hacks, there are tons of great things you can do for yourself in the garden. It was really hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites to feature here, so be sure to check out the brand new DIY Garden Project Pinterest Board for even more garden inspiration!
- Get crafty with one of these ideas for DIY plant markers. The list includes my very own aluminum plant markers and I think this process for weather proofing fabric could have all kinds of fun applications in the garden.
- I love the idea of enticing bees to the garden and providing a space for growing colonies by building a swarm box. Check out the Pinterest board for other ideas to attract beneficial insects to the garden.
- Do you have pots or other garden decor that is looking a little outdated or worn? Give them a fresh look with a little spray paint. Use the same technique to get a garden center look for a garage sale or thrift store prices.
- Looking for a practical project that will save you time this garden season? How about installing a drip irrigation system
- Let your garden fuel your DIY creativity by planning a natural dye garden or planting a craft-able plants like lavender (my mom and I used to make these lavender wands every summer).
- Get creative in your gardening efforts this year with a few simple garden hacks. Make your own newspaper starter pots, re-purpose a gutter as a garden, or deep water your tomatoes with drain tile.
A big thank you to everyone who contributed ideas this week! Stay tuned to Sweet Domesticity on Facebook and Twitter tomorrow morning for the announcement of next week’s topic!
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes peppers seed starting preservation seasons Salsa Week 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration Grow It Forward rhubarb raspberries photo post garden projects heirloom garden planning Photo of the Day garden plans broccoli yard projects onions lettuce seed saving seeds herbs radishes fall beans canning recipe salsa strawberries tomatillo spring cucumber garlic seed dry beans transplanting A Seed Starting Diary community garden varieties planting winter pumpkin frost scallions kale guest post Garden Planning 101 squash basil soil spinach kohlrabi beets Minnesota Locavore red romaine asparagus Garden Photography 101 corn beneficial insects mint garden harvest totals pickling vertical gardening pollinators variegated tomato Three Sisters zucchini squirrels garden flowers seed starting containers gardening with kids seedling care indoor gardening potting up cabbage organic gardening seed starting mix fall garden house projects horseradish watermelon sunflowers Good Garden Reads resources jelly garden clean up Black Hungarian garden pests giveaways apples Opalka onion carrots cucurbits gourds pumpkins ground cherries compost Grow It Forwards jam reader question San Francisco seedlings rainbow chard botanical gardens vacation brussels sprouts patty pan squash shallots soil blocker soil blocks peat brassicas sage parsnip horseradish root dividing rhubarb plant markers olive grapes cantaloupe slugs organic pest control zinnia jalapeno tomatillos seasonal preparing for winter harvest mexican sour gherkin pruning wildlife-friendly garden parsnips ground cherry lemon coir overwintering rue wrens tomato Measuring Up herb starter pots Building Better Soil garden inspiration San Marzano paste tomatoes garden organizataion quinoa Year in Review amaranth tomato blight mulch Federle Big Mama Red Romaine Lettuce social media garden beds snow Holiday Gift Guide birthday Amish Paste Anna Russian Tomato litchi tomato garden musings watering litchi tomatoes Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds oregano John Denver container gardening mojito seed starting timeline disease pests organic love yellow pear peanuts pepper mesclun peas rapsberries trellising printable seed packet Extending the Season winter sowing