As I sit down to write this week’s round up of garden inspiration, it definitely feels like we are one week closer to spring. At just a degree or two over 40, it was 60 degrees warmer in the garden today than it was when the week began. A January thaw was never more welcome!
Of course we all know that there are still plenty of cold days ahead, which is exactly why we need this week’s collection of DIY garden project ideas. Getting a head start on a project for the garden is a great way to pass the time until spring arrives. Whether you are a crafty gardener who is all about art and style or a practical gardener who loves power tools and garden hacks, there are tons of great things you can do for yourself in the garden. It was really hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites to feature here, so be sure to check out the brand new DIY Garden Project Pinterest Board for even more garden inspiration!
- Get crafty with one of these ideas for DIY plant markers. The list includes my very own aluminum plant markers and I think this process for weather proofing fabric could have all kinds of fun applications in the garden.
- I love the idea of enticing bees to the garden and providing a space for growing colonies by building a swarm box. Check out the Pinterest board for other ideas to attract beneficial insects to the garden.
- Do you have pots or other garden decor that is looking a little outdated or worn? Give them a fresh look with a little spray paint. Use the same technique to get a garden center look for a garage sale or thrift store prices.
- Looking for a practical project that will save you time this garden season? How about installing a drip irrigation system
- Let your garden fuel your DIY creativity by planning a natural dye garden or planting a craft-able plants like lavender (my mom and I used to make these lavender wands every summer).
- Get creative in your gardening efforts this year with a few simple garden hacks. Make your own newspaper starter pots, re-purpose a gutter as a garden, or deep water your tomatoes with drain tile.
A big thank you to everyone who contributed ideas this week! Stay tuned to Sweet Domesticity on Facebook and Twitter tomorrow morning for the announcement of next week’s topic!
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes peppers seasons 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration preservation garden planning yard projects seed starting garden projects garden plans onions seeds herbs radishes raspberries community garden seed Salsa Week beans heirloom varieties tomatillo winter Garden Planning 101 seed saving canning fall garlic mint vertical gardening spring asparagus dry beans soil basil lettuce beneficial insects broccoli spinach pollinators house projects indoor gardening flowers garden gardening with kids variegated tomato scallions planting garden harvest totals watermelon giveaways pumpkin Good Garden Reads jelly apples cucumber fall garden Red Romaine Lettuce garden beds social media snow Holiday Gift Guide squash trellising Three Sisters winter sowing seed packet Extending the Season rapsberries squirrels zucchini strawberries mesclun kohlrabi peanuts pepper printable guest post pests organic disease seed starting timeline starter pots seed starting containers organic gardening mojito love yellow pear John Denver oregano container gardening Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds peas rhubarb Amish Paste garden clean up Big Mama Federle paste tomatoes Opalka frost Anna Russian Tomato birthday resources garden musings litchi tomato horseradish sunflowers San Marzano corn Year in Review amaranth watering garden pests salsa litchi tomatoes tomato blight mulch pickling onion Black Hungarian garden inspiration quinoa garden organizataion