As I sit down to write this week’s round up of garden inspiration, it definitely feels like we are one week closer to spring. At just a degree or two over 40, it was 60 degrees warmer in the garden today than it was when the week began. A January thaw was never more welcome!
Of course we all know that there are still plenty of cold days ahead, which is exactly why we need this week’s collection of DIY garden project ideas. Getting a head start on a project for the garden is a great way to pass the time until spring arrives. Whether you are a crafty gardener who is all about art and style or a practical gardener who loves power tools and garden hacks, there are tons of great things you can do for yourself in the garden. It was really hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites to feature here, so be sure to check out the brand new DIY Garden Project Pinterest Board for even more garden inspiration!
- Get crafty with one of these ideas for DIY plant markers. The list includes my very own aluminum plant markers and I think this process for weather proofing fabric could have all kinds of fun applications in the garden.
- I love the idea of enticing bees to the garden and providing a space for growing colonies by building a swarm box. Check out the Pinterest board for other ideas to attract beneficial insects to the garden.
- Do you have pots or other garden decor that is looking a little outdated or worn? Give them a fresh look with a little spray paint. Use the same technique to get a garden center look for a garage sale or thrift store prices.
- Looking for a practical project that will save you time this garden season? How about installing a drip irrigation system
- Let your garden fuel your DIY creativity by planning a natural dye garden or planting a craft-able plants like lavender (my mom and I used to make these lavender wands every summer).
- Get creative in your gardening efforts this year with a few simple garden hacks. Make your own newspaper starter pots, re-purpose a gutter as a garden, or deep water your tomatoes with drain tile.
A big thank you to everyone who contributed ideas this week! Stay tuned to Sweet Domesticity on Facebook and Twitter tomorrow morning for the announcement of next week’s topic!
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes seed starting peppers preservation seasons Grow It Forward 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration rhubarb photo post raspberries heirloom garden planning garden projects garden plans yard projects broccoli lettuce Photo of the Day seeds radishes herbs Salsa Week strawberries beans onions tomatillo spring recipe seed saving canning seed community garden transplanting A Seed Starting Diary planting fall varieties cucumber winter pumpkin garlic scallions guest post basil soil Garden Planning 101 spinach dry beans kale red romaine beets Minnesota Locavore kohlrabi Garden Photography 101 garden harvest totals squash asparagus beneficial insects pickling mint vertical gardening variegated tomato Three Sisters garden flowers indoor gardening zucchini organic gardening gardening with kids house projects seedling care potting up seed starting containers seed starting mix fall garden pollinators jelly horseradish watermelon Good Garden Reads resources frost Opalka garden pests Black Hungarian giveaways corn apples carrots snow dividing rhubarb plant markers sage horseradish root patty pan squash jam Grow It Forwards brussels sprouts shallots brassicas cabbage seed starting timeline disease pests starter pots Building Better Soil soil blocker soil blocks peat coir compost reader question cucurbits herb rue Measuring Up tomato zinnia pruning wildlife-friendly garden wrens overwintering parsnips botanical gardens vacation San Francisco seedlings rainbow chard parsnip ground cherry lemon olive grapes organic mojito paste tomatoes Federle Big Mama San Marzano onion mulch quinoa garden organizataion garden inspiration Amish Paste garden clean up Red Romaine Lettuce social media garden beds Holiday Gift Guide birthday Anna Russian Tomato sunflowers litchi tomato garden musings tomato blight amaranth printable seed packet Extending the Season yellow pear love container gardening Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds oregano John Denver winter sowing trellising salsa litchi tomatoes watering Year in Review peas mesclun rapsberries squirrels peanuts pepper