As I sit down to write this week’s round up of garden inspiration, it definitely feels like we are one week closer to spring. At just a degree or two over 40, it was 60 degrees warmer in the garden today than it was when the week began. A January thaw was never more welcome!
Of course we all know that there are still plenty of cold days ahead, which is exactly why we need this week’s collection of DIY garden project ideas. Getting a head start on a project for the garden is a great way to pass the time until spring arrives. Whether you are a crafty gardener who is all about art and style or a practical gardener who loves power tools and garden hacks, there are tons of great things you can do for yourself in the garden. It was really hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites to feature here, so be sure to check out the brand new DIY Garden Project Pinterest Board for even more garden inspiration!
- Get crafty with one of these ideas for DIY plant markers. The list includes my very own aluminum plant markers and I think this process for weather proofing fabric could have all kinds of fun applications in the garden.
- I love the idea of enticing bees to the garden and providing a space for growing colonies by building a swarm box. Check out the Pinterest board for other ideas to attract beneficial insects to the garden.
- Do you have pots or other garden decor that is looking a little outdated or worn? Give them a fresh look with a little spray paint. Use the same technique to get a garden center look for a garage sale or thrift store prices.
- Looking for a practical project that will save you time this garden season? How about installing a drip irrigation system
- Let your garden fuel your DIY creativity by planning a natural dye garden or planting a craft-able plants like lavender (my mom and I used to make these lavender wands every summer).
- Get creative in your gardening efforts this year with a few simple garden hacks. Make your own newspaper starter pots, re-purpose a gutter as a garden, or deep water your tomatoes with drain tile.
A big thank you to everyone who contributed ideas this week! Stay tuned to Sweet Domesticity on Facebook and Twitter tomorrow morning for the announcement of next week’s topic!
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- recipes tomatoes seed starting peppers preservation seasons Grow It Forward 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration rhubarb photo post raspberries heirloom garden planning garden plans garden projects yard projects broccoli seeds herbs radishes lettuce strawberries Photo of the Day onions tomatillo Salsa Week beans recipe spring canning seed community garden A Seed Starting Diary seed saving planting transplanting garlic varieties cucumber winter pumpkin fall scallions guest post basil soil Garden Planning 101 spinach dry beans kale beets kohlrabi Minnesota Locavore Garden Photography 101 garden harvest totals squash asparagus beneficial insects pickling mint vertical gardening variegated tomato Three Sisters garden flowers indoor gardening zucchini organic gardening gardening with kids house projects seedling care potting up seed starting containers seed starting mix fall garden pollinators jelly horseradish watermelon Good Garden Reads resources frost Opalka garden pests Black Hungarian giveaways corn apples carrots red romaine plant markers sage brassicas dividing rhubarb horseradish root Grow It Forwards brussels sprouts shallots patty pan squash cabbage soil blocker disease pests organic seed starting timeline starter pots soil blocks peat coir Building Better Soil jam compost herb rue overwintering cucurbits Measuring Up pruning wildlife-friendly garden wrens tomato parsnips ground cherry vacation San Francisco seedlings reader question botanical gardens rainbow chard lemon olive grapes parsnip mojito container gardening Federle Big Mama Amish Paste paste tomatoes San Marzano quinoa garden organizataion garden inspiration onion garden clean up Anna Russian Tomato social media garden beds snow Red Romaine Lettuce Holiday Gift Guide sunflowers litchi tomato garden musings birthday mulch tomato blight seed packet Extending the Season winter sowing printable yellow pear Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds oregano John Denver love trellising rapsberries litchi tomatoes watering Year in Review amaranth salsa peas squirrels peanuts pepper mesclun