As I sit down to write this week’s round up of garden inspiration, it definitely feels like we are one week closer to spring. At just a degree or two over 40, it was 60 degrees warmer in the garden today than it was when the week began. A January thaw was never more welcome!
Of course we all know that there are still plenty of cold days ahead, which is exactly why we need this week’s collection of DIY garden project ideas. Getting a head start on a project for the garden is a great way to pass the time until spring arrives. Whether you are a crafty gardener who is all about art and style or a practical gardener who loves power tools and garden hacks, there are tons of great things you can do for yourself in the garden. It was really hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites to feature here, so be sure to check out the brand new DIY Garden Project Pinterest Board for even more garden inspiration!
- Get crafty with one of these ideas for DIY plant markers. The list includes my very own aluminum plant markers and I think this process for weather proofing fabric could have all kinds of fun applications in the garden.
- I love the idea of enticing bees to the garden and providing a space for growing colonies by building a swarm box. Check out the Pinterest board for other ideas to attract beneficial insects to the garden.
- Do you have pots or other garden decor that is looking a little outdated or worn? Give them a fresh look with a little spray paint. Use the same technique to get a garden center look for a garage sale or thrift store prices.
- Looking for a practical project that will save you time this garden season? How about installing a drip irrigation system
- Let your garden fuel your DIY creativity by planning a natural dye garden or planting a craft-able plants like lavender (my mom and I used to make these lavender wands every summer).
- Get creative in your gardening efforts this year with a few simple garden hacks. Make your own newspaper starter pots, re-purpose a gutter as a garden, or deep water your tomatoes with drain tile.
A big thank you to everyone who contributed ideas this week! Stay tuned to Sweet Domesticity on Facebook and Twitter tomorrow morning for the announcement of next week’s topic!
Other posts in this series:
- These pages are dedicated to all things home gardening. From planning a garden to preserving the harvest, you'll find practical and creative ideas to satisfy your sense of garden adventure!
- tomatoes recipes seed starting peppers preservation seasons Grow It Forward 12 Weeks of Garden Inspiration rhubarb photo post garden projects raspberries heirloom garden plans garden planning yard projects broccoli lettuce Photo of the Day seeds herbs radishes Salsa Week strawberries beans onions tomatillo spring seed saving recipe seed fall canning community garden transplanting A Seed Starting Diary planting garlic cucumber winter varieties pumpkin scallions guest post dry beans basil squash Garden Planning 101 soil spinach kohlrabi kale red romaine beets Garden Photography 101 asparagus Minnesota Locavore frost garden harvest totals mint beneficial insects pickling vertical gardening pollinators Three Sisters zucchini squirrels garden variegated tomato flowers organic gardening gardening with kids indoor gardening potting up cabbage seed starting containers seed starting mix jelly house projects horseradish watermelon sunflowers Good Garden Reads resources fall garden Opalka garden pests Black Hungarian giveaways corn apples seedling care carrots Grow It Forwards brussels sprouts shallots jam compost vacation San Francisco seedlings reader question patty pan squash horseradish root peat coir Building Better Soil starter pots soil blocks soil blocker dividing rhubarb plant markers sage brassicas botanical gardens rainbow chard pruning wildlife-friendly garden wrens zinnia ground cherries slugs organic pest control gourds pumpkins tomato Measuring Up lemon olive grapes parsnip ground cherry parsnips cucurbits herb rue overwintering seed starting timeline disease San Marzano paste tomatoes Federle onion garden inspiration tomato blight mulch quinoa garden organizataion Big Mama Amish Paste Red Romaine Lettuce social media garden beds snow Holiday Gift Guide birthday garden clean up Anna Russian Tomato litchi tomato garden musings amaranth Year in Review John Denver love yellow pear printable oregano Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds pests organic mojito container gardening seed packet Extending the Season peas salsa litchi tomatoes watering mesclun pepper winter sowing trellising rapsberries peanuts